Wednesday 22 April 2009

Toscana and Deer

Finally, we have an Internet connection; I'm not sure how but the 3G dongle now works. It appears to be something to do with the ppp negotiation but I haven't quite worked out what, although it's definitely something to do with the initial IP negotiation. The modem always connects and establishes a UMTS connection successfully - sometimes we get an IP sometimes not. I've changed the number; the default in the script is *99***1#, but there are 4 other variations so I've changed it to *99# and it appears more reliable but I'm not convinced. I'll just have to learn some patience.

Once working there is something rather satisfying sitting on our patio on the top of a Tuscan hill reading our email. It may be temperamental and slow but it works. You would have thought having used the Internet and technology for the last 20 years I'd take it all for granted, but it still brings a smile to my face. Possibly more out of surprise the damn stuff works in the first place!

We arrived in Tuscany after a short (4 hour) drive from Sutri in mixed weather. So far the weather reports on the news, delivered by what appears to be a Colonel in the Italian air-force, are accurate. Our apartment is well appointed and has fantastic views over Volterra. The weather has since deteriorated and is blustery and raining intermittently, not that we really care. Some R&R is most welcome given the Wifey has gone done with a stinking cold. Somehow, we don't appear to ready to go out until lunch time! After breakfast and talking about the day ahead somehow it's nearly lunchtime and time to consider what to eat for lunch. Talking about food we've tried to eat typically Italian food but the other evening had fish fingers and chips for tea - how terribly British.

Exploring the local area it appears to be (or has been) used for hunting. Found a rickety shack hidden in the undergrowth that was obviously used for shelter and heat. The piles of old shotgun cartridges pretty much sealed our opinion. We've not seen any wild boar yet but have seen deer roaming across fields. On a walk yesterday while walking down an old track I disturbed a deer who ran out no more than 5m in front of me.

We've started to loose track of time and it's only because the laptop is telling me it's Wed that I know what day of the week it is. Fantastic.

1 comment:

  1. >it appears to be (or has been) used for hunting
    ..
    >We've not seen any wild boar yet

    I think I know why ;-).

    ReplyDelete